Saturday 5 October 2013

Settling In

Hello again,

I have made it through the first week, which may have actually been the longest week of my life. I'll get into that in a minute.

I know, I know, it isn't Sunday. But to be fair, tomorrow I will be sleeping due to spending the entire night tonight 7pm - 6am, celebrating and taking in all of what I can of Nuit Blanche in Paris. For those of you you who haven't a clue of what Nuit Blanche is, it's essentially one night of the year when all off he museums, cathedrals, EVERYTHING is open to the public free of charge for a night of art, partying, cultural activities and good times - in Paris. Sounds amazing.

This past week has been crazy. I've found out that I will be working, not in one school, not in two schools, but THREE different elementary schools throughout Tours. Yes, I am still only working 12 hours a week but with having to lesson plan for three different schools, my free time will soon be consumed. It'll be great though. I live in the south part of Tours, just south of the Cher River and two of my schools are in the very north part of Tours, north of the Loire River.. so, a lot of my time will be me just chill in' on the busses in trams, but I guess that will be a good way to get a good view of the city to start with.

The two schools that I have been placed at in the north have been the most welcoming so far. The other one is located in the center of Tours and I didn't have as good as vibes as I had with the other two. And first impressions mean a lot to me so I suppose we shall see how it all goes. This week coming up will be a lot of me talking about where I come from! about me and just getting familiar with each of the schools. I am looking forward to it.

Monday was the day that myself and my new friend, Jenny, from the UK, were driven around by this lovely lady named Corrine who is a coworker of my program contact in Tours, Sandra. Just before lunch time elle a dit (she said), "Nous allons chez moi pour dejuner, d'accord?". Quick little translation there, we will be going to my house for lunch, okay? Of course Jenny and I looked at each other with excitement as we had no idea what to expect. We get to her house for lunch and oh my goodness, I've never experience lunch like this before. Her husband and a guest were in the kitchen when we arrived and we headed straight for the gazebo like place in the back yard. The tables were all set nicely topped with different wines and baguettes. We sat and ate there for close to two hours. That is one thing about the French of which I really adore - meal time to them is so important and meaningful. Everyone comes together and just enjoys themselves, chatting about things that are light and joyful and there's lots of laughing, and it was just perfect. I don't think I ate dinner that night because I was still so full from lunch. It will be something I'll never forget.

On Tuesday, all of that assistants in the Orléans-Tours region met in Orléans, France for a day of orientation and tours. It was a beautiful city but a very long, information-filles day so we were all pretty exhausted on the train ride home. My Canadian friend Ariel and I had actually purchased the wrong return ticket (my bad) so we illegally hopped the other train with the other assistants.. Hehehe. Bad ass, I know. ;) A few of us have made plans to have a taco dinner at my apartment for this coming Tuesday. Making friends has been one of the easiest parts of this journey so far which has been extremely helpful.

I am finding that the only times I begin to feel homesick is when I've been on the he tram for too long and my mind wanders.. or as I am going to bed.. also when my mind wanders a lot. My dad has actually already mentioned this to my mom, so it isn't a secret anymore, but I will be back in Manitoba for Christmas and I cannot wait. I mean, I love it here, but it will be nice to spend time with fam and friends during the time of year when specific events like Christmas and New Years are meant to be spent with loved ones. I am really happy and thankful that this is able to happen.

Last night was my first little experience of the nightlife in Tours. Had some drinks with quite a few of the other assistant and did some more friend making. It was a fun night and I am looking forward to being with all of them again tonight.. but in Paris!!

I wanted to list a few things that I've noticed about living in France thus far:

1. Crosswalks will kill you if you do not have street smarts. Here there are white stripped lines on the road that indicate that that is I a place where you can cross, but cars don't stop for you.. Unless you make angry looking eye contact (which I think I have mastered because I have a decently easy time stopping traffic).

2. People do not smile back when you pass them on the sidewalks.

3. Peanut butter is ridiculously expensive.

4. Wine can be ridioulously cheap, although it obviously doesn't taste as good. But hey, it does the job.

5. French young men are alllll attractive. I has a very handsome guy check me out on the tram and I thought I was going to topple over. Confidence booster!!

6. It is very important to carry an umbrella with you at all time as it goes from sunny to raining in like 0 to 60 seconds. I've learned the hard way a few times.

But yeah, I think that is all that I had to tell you. I am almost a legal citizen here now as I am almost complete with all of the paperwork.. Yay.

Hope all is well with everyone who reads this.

Love, love, love,
Sam





No comments:

Post a Comment