Wednesday 18 September 2013

One Week Until Takeoff


These last few months have flown by so quickly and, oh my goodness, I cannot believe that I start my journey in one week.

These last two months have been a lot of me stressing out as there has been many things that I've needed to do prior to this voyage. Although they say, there must be a little rain before a beautiful rainbow shines through.

I had to fly to Toronto to move forward with my visa application back at the beginning of September. It was a great little getaway. I stayed with a friend of whom I met at Explore in Nova Scotia last summer and she toured me around all of the nice sites of Toronto (I was especially attracted to the Harbour Front). I met a girl while I was waiting to meet with the French consulate who is doing the exact same Teacher's Assistant in the exact same city as me! We had to laugh because we realized we were going to be friends this year, even though we has only met for about a minute or so. Small world. The next night after the visa meeting I stayed with my Gimli friend, April, who is actually from Kitchener, Ontario. We spent the night at her dad's home in Milton and hiked the Niagara Escarpment! Beautiful view of the big city from up there!

This might be a good time to write about the city I've been placed in. Tours, France - population of about 140,000 people, full of beautifully lush greens and gardens, a promenade along the Loire River, and is situated an hour and 15 minutes southwest of Paris. An hour and 15 minutes southwest of PARIS; pinch me.  In the garden of the ancient Palais des Archevêques (now Musée des Beaux-Arts), there is a large cedar tree that was planted by Napoleon! This place is full of history and is known for having the purest form of French in all of France. There's so much to look forward to.

About a week ago, I was still visa-less, still homeless, still unsure of what school I will be working at and feeling a little lost. But things have come together. I will be renting a room in a 4 bedroom apartment, with a shared kitchen and living space and my visa finally came in the mail. My educational contact person in Tours has been a huge help and has offered to meet me at the train station when I arrive and take me to my new home. 

As my time here is winding down, I'm starting to realize how much I am going to miss my family and friends and just the normal everyday life in good old MB. I am pretty content with all of the different aspects of my life these days so it's difficult to just put everything to a bit of a halt. I'm desiring adventure right now though, so this obviously couldn't be more perfect. And hey, I know that the people back at home will still be there when I return. Seven months isn't even that long to begin with.. (so I am telling myself to keep me sane haha..)! 

Bon Voyage party is at Assinaboine Park is this Saturday with all of my loved ones. I know it will be a beautiful evening. 

I think that's all I've got to say this time 'round.
The next time I post will be in France. Crazy stuff. 

Love pour toujours,
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment